;D


Wednesday, November 3, 2010

November 3, 2010 Temple Square

Hello World!
So the big events of this last week were 1) transfers and moving - crazy! - since we had to move to a different apartment complex. We are in the basement of an apartment that wasn't lived in last transfer and there are BUGS everywhere!, gnats galore and huge ugly spiders. It's like South America! Ha ha, jk, but seriously, my roommate from Taiwan is getting eaten alive by them. To make life interesting I even put a big fake spider Mom sent me in the hallway and a Sister and I hid behind a door with a camera to capture the excitement. So funny - screaming and throwing of objects ensued afterwards. 2) HALLOWEEN! So Saturday was a normal day but then we got word from the APs that everyone needed to be off the Square by 5:45 p.m. due to Halloween activities in the community. So we came home and cleaned our apartment and tried to kill as many bugs as possible. Sunday, aka Halloween, everyone was really excited because we were going to have a "Mission Meeting" at 5 p.m. We all go down and there is soda, candy, popcorn, and more candy! We immediately watched Emma Smith, My Story movie and then followed it up by watching Errand of Angels! It was Sunday so we still tried to watch Sunday-appropriate movies but honestly we didn't care what we watched as long as it was a movie and we were getting sick off of candy. I can totally relate to the Errand of Angels movie now! I don't have a bad comp but the experiences and the lessons she learned still applies. It was interesting to see a movie about a normal proselyting mission since that isn't how we are at all. Door approaches, street contacting and teaching lessons are not what we do but yet at the same time we still experience them. Knocking doors = Referral Center on the phones. Street contacting = Finding people on the Square to take on tours. Teaching Lessons = tours and teaching people 10 minute lessons on the phones. I was happy to see that we are still getting the same mission experience as other missions. Oh there was an ad for Forever Strong on the DVD and all of the Sisters started screaming! The APs hurried and pushed the menu button.

Overall this week was interesting. Not very many people to show around but the people we did find are seriously golden! I know I say that about everyone but these people are! The apostasy makes everyone confused so we just explain how things aren't confusing anymore. One girl was from the Bible-belt and became disillusioned with religion after the 50th time she saw a billboard that told her she was going to Hell. We will be calling and teaching her tomorrow!

We had a hard time getting in touch with our investigators this week on the phones. It is crunch time for all of those referrals we got during General Conference so we have been focusing on that mostly. I called a guy in Africa named Alfred. He didn't have much time since he was going to a meeting but he said he agreed to meet with missionaries. He didn't sound very excited though and I wasn't sure if he understood. I called his friend who referred him and the friend was thanking me profusely for talking to his referral. He told me that Alfred came into his office and was so excited and was anxiously awaiting my e-mail to him! I was shocked but it made me really happy. Maybe we can teach him too! I love Africa; this guy is from Ghana. Our last golden investigator was from Liberia. Oh, and speaking of countries I love, I love the UK! Yes, Drew you heard me! We have been teaching a lady in Northern Ireland who is finally meeting with missionaries! I can hear the font being filled as we speak. We have a new Investigator from the UK and she is so good! She doesn't believe in God but she told us that she really, really wants to. She honestly just doesn't know where to find the truth. We taught her how to pray and we will call her soon. It is so sad to listen to her though. We considered teaching her about Jesus Christ but we feel that it is too deep for her! We are taking it one sentence at a time, starting with "God is real and he loves you." Maybe we can move on soon from that. She seems so sincere.

Other than that, it is getting cold here. The leaves have changed colors and they are almost done putting up the Christmas lights! Things will start picking up soon so we are really excited for that. No other big news going on so I will let you all go but stay strong. I hear from every guest we talk to that the world is horrible and that we are going to destroy ourselves soon. Hm... yay for optimism right? Oh well, the Church is true, the book is blue and Joseph Smith is a prophet too! (Like it? I heard it the other day)

No comments:

Post a Comment