;D


Saturday, March 26, 2011

March 26, 2011

Hi Everyone!!
Wow, this week went by fast but we are getting so busy with tours and scheduling we have no time to do much else (or think of much else). There are so many new protocols which have to be arranged that we went to a staff meeting with the mission presidency, APs, office assistants and the youth conference coordinators just to get everything sorted out. Kinda weird being there but oh well. We gave our input then went back to our duties. We all had to get together just to realize how much miscommunication we have. Apparently the Church Office Building also schedules our theaters or buildings without telling us which is adding to our headache. But we got it squared away!

So we have a problem with becoming zombies on the Square because we are only out to see the sunshine for about two hours everyday. So for the first hour we are really awkward and cannot get a tour to save our lives. I was getting really sick of it and more or less forced this poor dad and his son to walk with us around Temple Square. I wasn't overbearing; no worries. We shared some principles with them but it was families that really hit home for the Dad. I think his son has autism but he was really cute and kept talking about how much he loved skiing. When I asked what they would walk 1300 miles for (that is how far the pioneers walked from Iowa to get to Utah) the son said, "Skiing!" The Dad looked at his Son and said, "You and Mom". I am not one for cheesy moments BUT because the Spirit was there I was quite touched by that comment. And then I invited for his family to be eternal by meeting with missionaries - he accepted. How can you not?!

A few days later we more or less forced a group of three high school seniors to follow us around Temple Square (again not overbearing, we were just really awkward and desperate to talk to people face-to-face). It was uneventful and then my companion, Sister Despain, suggested that we take them to see the Conference Center. So we did and that really opened them up! One kid told us that he stayed with an LDS family for a week. They recently lost their son so they would read from the Book of Mormon every night. The other two seemed kinda indifferent about everything till we took them to the auditorium. I love talking about prophets here because that room is special. Even though it us HUGE you don't feel like you just walked into an auditorium, you feel like you just walked into a blanket of comfort. When asked if they wanted to learn more they all said, "I don't know" which in my brain is not rejection so after pushing for it a little bit they ALL referred! So happy. I only tell you happy stories. We do take many other tours where we are flat out rejected but you get used to those and forget them so in my mind I have a perfect record. Oh, the joys of selective memory.

Investigators: We got a lot of new investigators this week which is awesome. They all seem solid too, I hope those missionaries get there soon! Some of them need so much more than a ten minute phone lesson on prayer, Book of Mormon, or the importance of Church (which by the way are the three ways to receive personal revelation to know for themselves if this is true). Sometimes we switch it up and share Plan of Salvation if they need to hear that. It is always good to teach that because to me it is no big deal, to them it changes their lives.

Cool phone story: So this man calls in while I am at guest services and asks for the directions to see the Joseph Smith Movie. After talking to him a little bit - He isn't a member but was curious because all of his friends said that it is amazing. He had many questions on why God favored those that lived many years ago and not now. I told him that God is the same yesterday, today and forever and called a prophet again. I pulled out a verse to read (Mormon 9:19) but I explained the Book of Mormon bears record of Jesus Christ appearing to people in the ancient Americas. He stopped me and said, "What did you say?" I repeated it and he said, "I am from Peru. My grandfather spent his whole life researching accounts of a white bearded God appearing to the people there. He had a dream where somebody said that it was Jesus Christ. It just brought back all of those memories when you said that. I was able to bear my testimony that it was indeed Jesus Christ and we had that record here today to prove that He is the Christ. When I asked if he wanted to learn more he asked if there were missionaries on Temple Square he could talk to (Dang! I wanted that miracle! Oh well, charity and love) so I said, "yes." He thanked me for sharing this with him and hung up. I hope he made it to the movie ok.

But that is my week! We are getting ready for General Conference and so next Saturday I won't have a p-day. I don't know when I will write again so please move on with your lives, I know you all anxiously await my inspiring letters but you can make it! Anyway hope all is well in the world... which, by the way, a member told me that we need to all have our 72-hour-kits ready for the second coming! Glad I am in my bubble, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment