;D


Thursday, September 16, 2010

September 16, 2010 Temple Square

Hey, it's Thursday!
So you might notice that I am writing Thursday and not Friday, which is due to having a new P-day because transfers happened on Wednesday. I am no longer in the "Cover Zone" but we are now in a brand new zone called "Teach and Find 2". September 15 needs to go down in history as a new step forward in missionary work because that was the day the pilot program of Sisters on Temple Square talking to people via chat on Mormon.org and teaching people on the phone became a set program.

So here is how my zone works:
We are on the Square for half the day, doing normal show around and meeting guests. If they refer to meet with missionaries we can now say, "Until the missionaries come we would love to teach you more, can we set up an appointment time to call you?" AHHHHHH!!!! This is so cool, really because now when the missionaries (finally) get to their home hopefully they are already reading the Book of Mormon, going to church and praying. Many Sisters who were in the pilot program have said that many times the missionaries will knock on their door and the person will answer with, "Great, when can I be baptized?" because we are teaching them the lessons already! There was always the problem with the people not wanting missionaries anymore by the time their local Elders/Sisters finally came so now we have the opportunity to keep that excitement to learn and the spirit there. Our goal that we focus on is to get them to church and hopefully the missionaries in their local area will then pick them up. Not only that but we also do the "Chat" program on mormon.org where we chat with people, answer their questions and ask if they would like us to telephone so we can teach them more. We have only been at it one day and we have 3 appointments set up to teach them. We are like normal missionaries now! We have an area book and now we will be planning what to teach them in the 30-minute-lesson over the phone. Our roommates' last transfer did this pilot program and they were teaching people mostly in Africa. We are not limited by time or geography! We can get into anyone's home and teach them. Oh and it's constant finding. If they are not interested we accept the next person who wants to talk to us on Chat. In three hours we probably talked to 15 different people and invited them to listen to our message. Our last roommates were so busy with lessons that they ate dinner at 9 p.m. every night because they didn't have time during the day. My companion is still Sister Belleza and we decided that we are going to be just as busy. Oh and they taught one minister in Africa over the phone and this past Sunday he took his whole congregation to church - it's just like those pioneer stories! Sorry, I am obviously very excited :D

So transfer day: INSANITY! Our transfer conference started at 7:30 Monday morning and was filled with singing, laughing, screaming, and minute to win-it games. They announced all of the Sisters leaving for outbound and they all read their calls. Afterwards they announced our new assignments and our zones. My comp and I are still together but we moved apartments (across the hall) and moving was a piece of cake since I only have 1 bag. Some sisters had boxes after boxes and I was wondering where they got them all. Our new apartment won the "cleanest apartment" last transfer so we plan on keeping it that way because whoever wins that gets to eat at the Rooftop Restaurant (Joseph Smith Memorial Building) for free. The day we were moving out the toilet flooded. Thank you Dad for teaching me how a toilet works because I was able to stop the water and save us from drowning, except the garage has a nice puddle since the roof is cracked and I am pretty sure they have to fix the floor/ceiling now. Oh well, we moved out. But the best part about a new transfer is that I am not a greenie!!!!!!! Yay!! I hated being a first transfer but now there are girls who look lost and confused and I am not one of them and I "know what I am doing" so life is good. Well, gotta run but this transfer is going to be amazing. We had a couple days of awesomeness where most people we talked to were so prepared to hear what we had to say. It's weird to think that I am helping these people make huge changes in their lives... no pressure right? But I hope that I am making a difference. Hopefully now I will get to see the impact of what I do. Can't wait! Until next week! Sister Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment