;D


Thursday, September 30, 2010

September 30, 2010 Temple Square

Hey Everyone!!!!

So this week has been a super busy week. It's already P-day! We run from one appointment to another and the days just fly by. So regarding our investigators: We have a couple progressing and we are just waiting for the missionaries in their areas to do their job and get in touch with them, but until then we teach them! We have one man in Africa, Liberia specifically, named Henry who works for the Liberian Police Force. He drives an hour and a half to get to church on Sunday and he is so excited every time we call him. He is amazing. One of the coolest moments so far on my mission was when we called a member who goes to his ward and conference- called Henry in. It was so cool to hear two men thousands of miles away speaking in this thick accent that I can hardly understand! But I did understand when the member bore his testimony about this church and how important it is to go to church so we can feel God's love for us. Henry was silent on the other end and we were too. We were just staring at the phone and all I could think about was how wonderful this church is. Technology is making missionary work move forward in such a way that people never could have imagined. If only I could tell you the depth of what we can do. Funny thing is Henry was found on mormon.org! We "Chat" with people for about 10 hours a week per companionship. Most of our investigators are found this way. I think what I have finally realized this week though is how strong the adversary is. I completely understand now why missionaries get so excited when people actually make it to church. It's not that they don't want to go; it's that they can't! We had 4 people we were hoping would go to church this week and out of 4 - 1 went. The other 3: One just wasn't interested anyway so we won't count him; one other's children all got lice randomly Saturday night; and the last one had so much to do that day she couldn't make it. So we realized we really need to pray for them because Satan will make sure they don't go to church. I never realized how important church is until now. We talk up church and say it will be wonderful and that the members will be so nice. We hang up the phone and pray that everything we said - especially the members being nice and welcoming - is true. Most of the time everyone has a good experience at church and they feel the spirit. It makes me realize how much I took for granted being able to go every Sunday and sometimes I would wonder if I learned anything. Now that I don't go to church anymore I realize that I miss it a lot. (We only have sacrament meeting at 7:30 a.m. and then it's back to work!) But anyway we have lots of potential investigators that seem promising - now they just need to answer their phones.

But some miracles - just tender mercies like we find people to show around and they refer. So many prepared people! They all wonder how come there are no prophets today or many of them don't go to church anymore because they feel that church is all about showing off, which church is the richest, people don't act Christian anymore, society's values, etc. It is amazing to me how God doesn't change - man does! We point that out to people and then say "Look, this church was restored by God. If you don't believe us just pray and ask him yourself. Oh and have missionaries too while you are at it? Great and we can call and teach you till they come!"

Had my first mission president's interview! We only have them once every 3 months and it's only about 10 minutes. We see him everyday but we are busy and he is busy so there isn't much getting-to-know-you going on. But I felt like he was looking into my soul when we were talking and I was hoping that only good things were being told to him by the spirit (I hope he doesn't know about that one time we were 10 minutes late getting back to our apartments after eating out - that was so not our fault anyway but that is another story.) but I think I passed so *phew*. Our transfer is halfway over already! Crazy!!!! Time is really starting to move faster, my first transfer here it was moving slower than a snail and I was worried that I had issues. But everyone said it picks up and wow they were right. We wake up in the morning, work out, go to the Square, teach people, and then it's bed time again!

General Conference is this week and we are getting mentally ready for it. We are on the Square from 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. We get 15 minute breaks for lunch and dinner. We get to go to one session of general conference so that is nice. President let us all go to the Relief Society broadcast. We sat so close to them too! It was a really good broadcast too and afterwords we talked to over 20 members in one hour. That is how it will be at conference; we count those we invite to give us names of friends to call. So if you see me - have them ready! I am so glad my P-day is today. I am going to cook like crazy so I won't have to worry about food during conference. I am so excited to talk to everyone though! Anyway that has been my week: Busy, lots of miracles, and lots of learning (We are getting asked all of these doctrine questions and I am so excited I am getting to learn it all with scriptures to back me up!) Jehovah's Witnesses are not fun and neither are Baptists but I love them anyway... and smile a lot when they want to bash; life is good. Ok, gotta go bye! Oh I heard a quote: "To be a good leader, you need to be a good follower" gotta go! Karly

No comments:

Post a Comment