;D


Saturday, May 21, 2011

May 21, 2011

Hi Familia!
Woah, it is Saturday again! Time flew this week but we had many amazing experiences in between. So Monday we actually had five hours on the Square! We usually average about two so this was a big deal and we didn't know what to do with ourselves. But we figured since we had so much time we took tour after tour. It was awesome. We found this mother and daughter from Mexico and took them on a tour. They spoke English but not very well. So since Sister Despain is a Spanish-speaking master halfway through the tour she switched to Spanish and they opened right up. When we invited them the mother said, "No, we are fine. I am Catholic and I will die Catholic!" Yeah well, Jesus Christ was born Jewish and started Christianity, so? Anyway I didn't say that but we didn't have the chance to invite the daughter with the mom hovering around her. So we said goodbye and went to find more people to talk to. Later at the North Visitor Center we were walking past the main desk and saw the daughter referring for missionaries with another Sister! Sister Despain was crushed since it was her first 'real' Spanish tour and all it would have taken was a re-invite. We walked away and found this guy looking at the kiosks by the West Gate. We offered to take him to the Tabernacle when the conversation quickly turned really deep about how we find peace and answers in this life. Looking back I realize that we never really talked about prophets, apostasy, or even Jesus Christ. We just talked about how we find peace and balance in our lives which leads us to the Plan of Salvation, being the love and mercy of God. He was amazed at our answers because he had resigned himself to never having any in this life. When we invited him to meet with missionaries he was all for it. Of course, the miracles and blessings of each day come within the last hour of the day.

Wednesday we signed ourselves up for a motor coach at 9 a.m. (perks of being in Guest Services). It was a small group of eight people but they were from Viet Nam, Germany, the Canary Islands and Singapore. We took them to the Christus, then the Temple Model, then the Assembly Hall. Surprisingly at the Temple Model one of the girls from Germany started asking me why there are so many churches and there is so much confusion. So cool and she is from Europe too! They are typically super closed-minded. We ended in the Assembly Hall and then went outside to re-invite them. The two men from Viet Nam were both really open to it. One of them (who I could have sworn was not paying attention to anything we were saying), as he snapped a picture of the Tabernacle, said, "Yeah, in four or five years when I am older I will join your church" Hello? Why not now? But looking at his referral card later he only put the city where he lived though he checked to learn more about Jesus Christ. I died inside. But the girls from Germany and the Canary Islands referred saying that they found what we believed interesting. They both loved the Temple Model which they might put in all visitor centers because of how effective it is.

Big news in the mission: We can now carry Bibles with us. Usually we only carry a Book of Mormon but it came from the First Presidency that we shouldn't neglect the Bible. I was really hesitant at first because of how many people come to the Square and want to Bible bash but as I bought a Bible from the Distribution Center and started marking it up I am getting excited at how helpful it will be to explain the restoration to people already familiar with the Bible! Instead of saying Joseph Smith read a verse in the Bible we can have them read it, then follow up with Moroni 10. Good game plan.

We have lots of mission changes coming up with the summer upon us. We schedule at least ten tour groups a day at Temple Square. And it is going to increase. About 95% of all tour groups are from mainland China so we get to teach them all about Jesus Christ (when they finally put down their cameras and listen). We save all of the referrals we get for China and send it to the MTC. They have a huge stack of people to visit as soon as it opens. We have to be careful about what we say though. We cannot tell them that they can just go to Taiwan or Hong Kong to be baptized (sorry Debbie). And we cannot tell them to look us up on the Internet. There are so many people waiting to hear the Gospel! Too bad they are prevented only because of some wonderful children of God who seek to micromanage everyone's life.

But this next week brings an end to another transfer. They just go faster and faster. But I have no idea what is happening to me next transfer. I could do ANYTHING, really. I don't think I am going outbound though so no worries (I doubt I will so everyone stop asking) but I could stay in Guest Services or leave. I really like it in there though and I am comfortable... which means that I need to change.... dang. Growth, why must you be uncomfortable?! Well, we will see, I might e-mail next Saturday or... another day (dun dun dunnn) ha ha but I am excited. So until next week, oh wait the "rapture" is happening tonight. Well, I guess that means you will see me much sooner than December since there won't be much use for me as a missionary when Christ is here. Great, see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment