;D


Sunday, August 8, 2010

July 30, 2010 Update MTC

Bouge Luvit Vos! That just means I love you in Russian FYI. My companion is obsessed with asking every Elder who speaks a different language how to say God loves you. We almost have every language in the MTC, kinda cool. Well, this week was bitter sweet as the Elders in our district left. They were tons of fun but they had so much drama at the end that I think Temple Square will be a cake walk. We spent most of our time together so now that they are gone we keep feeling that people are missing. But they are off to their missions so mostly we are just jealous because we are here for another week and a half. Anyway, but for me this week I got really comfortable with teaching and talking. Not that I wasn't before, but now it wasn't a big deal and I was confident in what I was doing. Last Friday was a big part of that. My companion and I were teaching the new district a lesson and they were going to teach us. This was their first time teaching but we didn't know that. They taught us first and when I say "they" I mean one Elder. He was giving the whole lesson and the other was slouched in his seat and whenever the Elder would look at him to add to the lesson he would shrug and say, "Ditto" or "Yeah, that sounds good." By the end of the lesson I was about to smack him upside the head and tell him to shape up. Not very missionary like but seriously he was being so rude, so I was about to give him the worst lecture he had ever gotten in his life. But it was our turn to teach so I asked, "How's the MTC going for ya?" They both said, "Fine" and so I said, "No really how is the MTC?" The Elder who actually taught said it had its moments of being hard and stuff but other than that nothing he couldn't handle. I looked at the other Elder who proceeded to tell us how much he wanted to go home and how much he couldn't handle being here. He felt really inadequate and homesick. I am so glad that I decided to follow the spirit instead of going with plan A because my companion and I threw out our lesson plan and taught this Elder all about missionary work, following the spirit, and how much the lord loves him and wants him on a mission. Our teacher popped in to say that we had 5 minutes left and I felt guilty because we didn't teach them a lesson like we were supposed to. As we left the other Sisters in my district ran up to my companion and I and said how all of the teachers had crowded around the room in which we were teaching to listen. They said that we were amazing!! I was on cloud 9, like really, I felt so good. The next morning Brother Warner, who is the best teacher I have ever had, came up and thanked us for everything we taught him and that we probably saved his mission. I check up on him now and again and he is doing a lot better.

So we started Visitor Center training. We are officially the biggest district in the MTC with 33 sisters, 26 of whom are going to Temple Square, the rest are either going to the Mormon Battalion place in San Diego or to Winter Quarters. All of these girls are top notch and sometimes it's a little intimidating especially when they all told their stories on how they decided to come on a mission. About 50% of them gave up a lot to come and one girl's parents even threw her out of the house for a bit. And then I stand up and say, "I've always wanted to go on a mission so I just turned in my papers and here I am." Yeah, pretty boring. But they are all really nice and we eat every meal together. Most were kinda disappointed with their calls as well so I felt less like a sinner but we are all really excited now to go. So this is what I hear about Temple Square: It is the most exhausting mission because we have no free time. Yeah, we have P days and breaks from tours but apparently we never take them because there are so many people to teach. One teacher said, "get ready to love people so much you will be exhausted." Great, I already love everyone. How can I love people any more? Another thing I heard (I am just restating the facts, ok) is that Visitor Center Sisters are chosen first and they are selected based on our picture, not because of looks but because they can see that they have a testimony of the atonement. The prophet might have even had a hand in it! One Sister told us this because her home teacher is Apostle Quentin L. Cook's brother and when she got her call he called up Apostle Cook to ask about the process. Kinda cool, huh? I feel a little special. Most teachers ask where we are going and when we say Temple Square they remark on how they can always tell a Temple Square Sister. So needless to say I am stoked about going to Temple Square and working my hardest.

Yesterday we had our first "teaching appointment." We set up a room like a visitor center and gave people tours. This is so much easier than giving lessons because we just say, "Look at this picture. What does it mean to you?" or "How does it make you feel?" And we just talk to people!! Gah, I love it. My teacher told me that I am very personable and friendly, AKA not a robot. Goal: Completed.

So other responsibilities as a Coordinating Sister: I finally have a purpose because Sisters came into our zone. I just talked to them, gave them advice and follow up on how they are doing. I have to call one of them to be the next Coordinating Sister soon. Anyway I am out of time but hopefully this letter was long enough for you all. So much more happened but, oh well, you can imagine. Anyways next time I write I will be at Temple Square. Peace out Provo!
P.S. I am the most emotionally stable sister here.

No comments:

Post a Comment