;D


Friday, July 29, 2011

July 25, 2011 Utica, New York

Hi Family!
First off, Happy Birthday to everyone in July! There are too many of you and I have limited time. Well, this week was HOT HOT HOT. Holy cannoli (yes there is a little Italy here) I was melting! It was up in the 90s + humidity. So nobody was outside; one of the members here refused to go outside and the thought of walking the 20 feet to her car was too hard for her to think about. The entire time everyone complains I just think about how it is 120 in Arizona everyday. You guys are troopers. But it is cooling down thank goodness so maybe some good families will be sitting outside on their porches so we can talk to them.

This week was full of helping people - since it was so hot and we are in a walking area we needed to find things to do inside. So we did lots of service. One such act of charity was helping a family go to the hospital - the mom has agoraphobia so she can't leave her house since she is afraid of people. But she said that if we were there she could do it. Interesting experience since her daughter has muscular dystrophy, she has agoraphobia, and we missionaries can't look at anything (TV, magazines, etc) so we were an interesting group all together.

We also came in contact with a less active member who is awesome. We walked in her house (one thing that is so funny - less actives have no problem letting the missionaries in their house and welcoming us back all the time, but most wont go to church) and she said, "I like my coffee - that is a stupid rule - and I don't like callings where I have to teach children. I am a teacher! I don't want to spend another day with kids!" But after a really good conversation she said she needs to go back to church and that she would come. At church yesterday I looked out the door and saw her coming up. Then members of the ward recognized her and ran up to her giving her hugs. She almost had an assembly line of hugs and greetings, a very heart warming moment to see the love of the ward members reaching out to her. WAY better than coffee hour at the Methodist Church (which, btw is the only reason why she goes to that church). She even stayed for Sunday School, when she said that she was going home. Can't wait to meet with her again this week.

But as for investigators: Norma might be moving back to her mom's house and she feels too overwhelmed with her four kids to bring them to church. Not much we can do to help her. We have lots of appointments with our potential investigators too so hopefully with this heat wave going away we can meet with more people. We are teaching a family tonight - they all smoke so we are starting with the Church's program on quitting smoking. It is amazing! If I am a weight loss counselor when I get back I am totally stealing it and changing it to fit weight loss. Anyway I am really excited, hopefully we can teach them too! Oh and the missionaries in the ward (there are 4 of us) are teaching in the 3rd hour of church next week. Focused on the Savior and missionary work, hopefully it helps! Keep your fingers crossed... and pray as well.... Yeah, that is a good idea.

Gotta run but that is my week! Hope everyone had good one too. BYE!

P.S. Jimmer Fredette lives in my mission. Sister Duncan, my companion, served in his ward. Be jealous; I am not.

No comments:

Post a Comment