;D


Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 4, 2011... New York Utica Mission!

Hi Everyone!

So BIG news: I am going OUTBOUND! I am actually really mad/excited to go. It is so busy on the Square that I don't want to go, but at the same time I know I need to go. Regardless, I am called to the Utica, New York Mission. I leave on Wednesday! Many of the Sisters that I came out with are going outbound as well, so I don't feel that alone. Sister Perez will be with a Sister from Mexico so she will have a companion that actually speaks Spanish and not one who tries to act like she does. We had our mission meeting at 7 a.m. this morning and because it is the 4th of July we are taking our p-day late. Half the mission is at a park; playing games and eating food while the rest are on the Square. We switch halfway through the day. Should be exciting! Yay food! I have to pack though and help Sister Perez move to a different apartment complex so no p-day for us. I heard that my p-day will be next Monday though; another sister just returned from the Utica Mission so she said that she would fill me in on all the particulars.

Well, this week was great! We had a few days where we needed to get Sister Perez's passport all taken care of and that took about 2 days. We got lost in West Valley so I know that area VERY well. If we ever decide to take a family trip out there I can direct us around. It was all the fault of Google maps I want you all to know. I don't think the internet gets the grid system so it flipped the south and west streets.... so frustrating. The next day I skipped on the directions and found the Uruguay Consulate myself. Took about 2 hours less. But it is all taken care of and now Sister Perez can stay in the USA. I am such a good companion.

Some last miracles from Temple Square: We were flagged down at the Tabernacle by one of the senior couples to help this couple understand that there would be an organ recital in the Tabernacle. Come to find out they are from Uruguay! And they want to be baptized... you know common desire here on Temple Square... so we graciously accommodated by helping them meet with missionaries. Later in the week we were asked to show three people around from Tulsa, Oklahoma. They were firing questions right and left and it was so frustrating because they were not good questions. It was more like "What do you feel about blacks and the priesthood?" "How does the Prophet get chosen?" "Why can't you be the Prophet?" "How many members are in Salt Lake City?" "Why do you take the sacrament every week?" One right after the other. Aka no spirit was there. Every time we would try to drop them by inviting for missionaries so we could leave they would ask another question or ask where the bathroom/drinking fountain was. I couldn't wait to leave these people somewhere but when we finally were able to say that they had such wonderful questions and asked if they would like to discuss them with missionaries back home, they accepted. The only one that was quiet was the one that has read the entire Doctrine & Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, and parts of the Book of Mormon. I hope they will be able to listen to what they missionaries have to say.

Well, happy 4th of July! Hope the pancake breakfast was as yummy as always (minus the fake orange juice and sausage). Funny story: This morning we had a Sister who could sing the National Anthem really well and she happened to be from Great Britain. President then got up and said how wonderful this holiday was that we are celebrating our independence from Great Britain.... slightly awkward and everyone laughed. Anyway watch the fireworks for me. I will call you from the airport on Wednesday! I am so scared! I will be out in the real world - no bodyguards, security cameras or emergency alarms. Insane people usually find me... this could be an interesting three months.

"If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere... New York, New York!"

No comments:

Post a Comment