;D


Sunday, February 27, 2011

February 12, 2011

Hello Family!
So cool stories this week - I know I almost let you down! But the other day we were planning and I kept feeling like we needed to pass by the priesthood statues (Where Peter James and John are giving the priesthood to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery) sometime during the day. After Sacrament Meeting we were walking near them and I saw these four guys taking pictures. So we went to talk to them and took them to see the temple model in the South Visitor Center. They were all in the military and had one day off which was Sunday. We were telling them about the Book of Mormon and as the others left one guy stayed behind and started tell me how he really appreciated how we had approached them. He said that there were so many barriers that people put up but when we walked up we made them feel comfortable and relaxed. He said that it felt so wonderful here and he wants to feel this way all the time. I told him that the world is horrible (he probably knows better than most) but that there is peace that comes from being apart of this Church. I told him about Captain Moroni and read the verse that says if all men were like Moroni the powers of hell would shake. He grabbed my Book of Mormon and said, "Wow! This is so cool!" Then all of the others came back so we took them on a tour. At the Christus Statue one of them (He was Muslim) came up to me. We started talking about his views on Jesus Christ. Surprisingly he said that if someone is a true Muslim they have the same belief about Him as we do except that when we sin it is our sin and not Jesus Christ's. I said, "Actually when we sin it is our sin but through His atonement he paid the consequence of that sin." I explained more but it was so cool to see the Spirit teaching him. He smiled and said, "You know that does make sense" Long story short they ALL referred for missionaries to give them a Book of Mormon and to teach them more. I love Temple Square.
Later at the Humanitarian Center we had the opportunity to show around some people who will be working there. They are refugees from the Congo and Pakistan. Both are members of the Church. I am sure that they only understood about 5% of the tour but when we asked for people that we could call they both gave us friends and family. It was amazing to watch them as they told us in broken English why they wanted this family member or friend to hear the Gospel. Unfortunately I cannot call either of them since one speaks Urdu and the other speaks French/ Swahili. But at the Humanitarian Center you see such humble people who have nothing yet they have this Church and that is all they need. Working at the Humanitarian Center has been amazing, I have met so many people from all over the world who have nothing - most are not members actually but they see the good that comes from this building. Anyway those are my stories for the week! I hope to have more. Until then I am surviving and doing well. Lots to do and so little time. I have been getting up at 6 a.m. to go running every morning which I miss really, really badly and it makes all the difference in the world! Keep exercising everyone! Just because I am not there doesn't mean you are off the hook - especially you Dad. Are you up to four miles yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment