;D


Sunday, February 27, 2011

February 26, 2011

Hey Family!
So we had some really cool experiences this week. On Monday we were having our district meeting and about 20 minutes into it the APs opened the door and said, "Everyone to the square! There are tons of people up there!" Why? A holiday or something? What is that? Awesome! So we go up and there are a ton of people! We contact into this lady who was trying to go to the temple but on Mondays it closes early so she missed it. She was saying how she really needed spiritual upliftment. I thought I would try out my newly marked scriptures. I found really good verses from the Book of Mormon and put tabs in it going gradually downward - if that made any sense - anyway, so I tell the guests and members to pick a tab and I will read them a scripture. For guests it is so they can get a taste of what the Book of Mormon is about; for members whatever they pick you tie it to a gospel principle and because it is the Book of Mormon it will ALWAYS apply to their needs. So anyway back to the story: She picked "the blue tab" I opened it to Alma 36:3 and cringed a little. It was all about being how God will help us through our trails and such. I quickly read it, a little embarrassed because it obviously didn't apply to her. I looked up and she was crying! Long story short she spilled to us all of her marriage problems (people treat you like a shrink when you have a name tag on) and that scripture was just what she needed! We had no advice to give her but it was a good testimony builder to me about never underestimating the Book of Mormon. Before district meeting we were paged to take a tour. It was a really cute family and they had tons of questions. They kept apologizing about talking too much (please, that is our goal) and at the end they referred for missionaries! So good, I am excited to call them and teach them until the missionaries get there.
Today I called this guy in Ireland and he is GOLDEN. Wow! So prepared. He has been searching the Church out and reading a ton ever since his father committed suicide. The man is Catholic and his priest told him that his father was burning in Hell (That is a great way to keep people going to church; gotta mark that one down) but God being love, as John says, didn't match the description he was hearing. I had the best conversation ever and even though we are only supposed to talk with telephone contacts for 10 minutes I had him stay on the phone longer so we could keep talking. I just bore my testimony on how God is merciful and evidenced prophets, the Book of Mormon, and the plan of salvation to back me up. He is even finding a church tomorrow!
So about the Humanitarian Center: With all of the earthquakes going on in New Zealand did we know anything about it? No, we were giving some people a tour and that is how we heard of it! Now I know why we aren't kept abreast of current world events but seriously think how bad it looks if we don't even know about world disasters working at the LDS Church's Humanitarian Center! I am over it. So they don't tell us what they are doing but all I know is there were thousands of bales of clothes chillin' in the warehouse and now when I walk by most of them are gone. So I think they are being used. But we don't help with shipping things out. Volunteers come everyday and put hygiene kits together. Lately I have been making scarves, baby hats, balls, puppets, file folder games and cutting materials to make clothes. I do what they need me to do and there is always something to do. I hope I can be there next transfer. I have really loved it. We mostly take members around but that just means they are wonderful tours and we are uplifted by them. Transfers are this Wednesday, so we find out Monday what is going on. I heard they are trying to keep Sisters in their same zones for longer so I have a feeling that I will be in the extended zone again, maybe at the Humanitarian Center! But who knows when I will e-mail again, it could be next Saturday! We shall see but I love you all! Miss you and don't party too much without me. Until then!!

No comments:

Post a Comment