;D


Thursday, July 15, 2010

July 7, 2010 The Drop Off... by Craig T.










Sister Karly Nelson entered the MTC in a manner totally different than any other Nelson. Knowing how the game is played we decided to "drop" her off early instead of the appointed time at 1:15 p.m. After trying to no avail to contact Robert Grant who is on the coaching staff at BYU football and having lunch with Kyle at Legend's on campus by the BYU Sports Hall of Fame we drove over to the MTC. As we entered the driveway a happy, smiling greeter asked what we were doing. "Dropping off a missionary!" He then slapped a purple sticky on our windshield signifying "incoming" and directed us left to the driveway that winds around the south side of the building. For seven previous missionaries we would turn right to the entrance of the MTC and proceed north to the parking lot.

Large poles had been erected with numbers on top signifying where cars were to park along the curb and because we were early and therefore the first to arrive we drove all the way down to the last parking space, #25. In doing so we passed dozens of Elders (no Sisters) in white shirts and ties, well-groomed and receiving instruction about the onslaught that would begin shortly.

Karly noticed the ratio of Elders to Sisters, she being the only Sister and figured 100 to 1 odds worked in her favor. Her immortal comment was, "I think I can do this". Her father reminded her of two things: 1) you're on a mission - arm's length and 2) You're 21 and they're 19. About that time we arrived at the last parking spot, opened the door and were immediately greeted by two smiling Elders who asked, "Do you have a lap top?' Karly said "No." "Do you have a cell phone?" Karly said "No." "Do you have your medical records?" Karly said "Yes" and with that the Elders grabbed her luggage and off they marched with Karly loving every minute. She did momentarily look back and wave, but was soon lost in the company of Elders.

Karly's Version


Ok well as soon as they dropped me off they took me to a "Host Sister" who took me to my residence hall/ room and we dropped off my stuff. They told me that I had to go put my violin away in a locked room becuase we aren't allowed to have instruments at the MTC but I don't know when I will have time for it on the mission anyway but that is another story. So anyway she took me to the main building where they took my picture, put my name tag on me, then they gave me a bag full of "stuff" like our schedules, key, meal card, etc. Then they gave me a new preach my gospel and then they took me to my classroom in building 8M room 309 to meet with my district and my companion. I was the second one there so it was just me and another Elder. My companion came last but we all sat in a room until 3:00 getting to know one another. Then we had class, then dinner, then they took us to a room where we taught our fist investigator. We switched every 30 minutes to a new one and it was so cool! It is amazing how I didn't even know these people but they were so unhappy and the whole time I just felt like I wanted to shake them and say listen to our message becuase it will make you happy! The love I felt for them was instantaneous, so I kinda understand now how our heavenly father feels about us but I am sure when I am a parent I will understand more. And they were actors! They are not even real. But after that we went back to our residence halls and unpacked. Thats what we did the first day I guess, it was really busy and it was a really long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment